Changes to your home

Throughout your tenancy, there are bound to be things you’ll want to change, replace or remove. But, before you pick up the hammer and nails, check the list below as there are some changes we don't allow to your property and some changes where you may need to get in touch with us to provide you with our written consent.

There are a few things you can make changes to

If your item is on the following list, you can go ahead and make changes without asking us for permission. It’s really important that you follow any guidance we’ve mentioned, to make sure you can keep any changes you choose to make. 

If you would like written permission from us for these please complete the form and we will email you with permission.

  • Aerial (analogue or digital)
    Only in houses or bungalows (not flats). They can be fitted in the loft or to the outside of your home, and it’s your responsibility to maintain them once they’re installed.
  • Decking
    You’ll need to take it down at the end of your tenancy.
  • Electric key/card/smart meter
  • Fencing
    You must talk it through with your neighbours first. Fences must be no higher than 1m at the front of your home or 2m at the back.
  • Gas key/card/smart meter
  • Greenhouse
    It must be removed at the end of your tenancy. The maximum size is 2m x 2.5m.
  • Hire a skip
    As long as you let your neighbours know and that you have enough space to keep it.
  • Keysafe
    It must be removed at the end of your tenancy.
  • Painting and wallpapering
    However, you must return the walls to white or magnolia before the end of your tenancy – this is part of your tenancy agreement, and if you move out without repainting to a neutral colour, you may be charged. Also, if your home is a new-build, please don’t repaint until the home is over 12 months old.
  • Parking space
    You’ll need to speak to your Local Authority to understand whether it’s possible and to secure the required consent from them.
  • Ring door bell
    Only in houses and bungalows (no flats)
  • Outside tap
    It should be earthed with a plastic insert fitted to the copper pipe to separate earth from the inside to the outside of the property.
  • Satellite dish
    Only in houses or bungalows (not flats). You must speak with your local authority about any planning restrictions and obtain planning consent if necessary. If you live in a flat with a communal satellite dish, you may not change it.
  • Shed (wooden/plastic/metal)
    It must not be bigger than 3m x 2.5m.
  • Water butt
  • Water meter

And a few things you must not change

Everything on the list below must stay as they are for the duration of your tenancy. However, if something is broken or faulty, please get in touch with us or raise a repair online and we’ll see what we can do.

  • Aerial (in a flat)
  • Bathroom
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • CCTV
  • Conservatory
  • Front door
  • Gas supply for gas cooker
  • Kitchen
  • Lean-to
  • Loft insulation
  • Multi-fuel burner/open fire
  • Pond
  • Ring door bell (in a flat)
  • Satellite dish (in a flat)
  • Installation of solar panels
  • Tumble dryer vent
  • Wood burner/open flue
Person holding handrail

Aids and adaptations

We want you to love your home as much as we do, and to feel comfortable living in it for as long as you want. Whether you’d like grab rails to help you move safely around your home, or kitchen alterations to help you cook and prepare food, we can help you adapt your home to suit your needs. For larger aids and adaptations, you may need to speak to Occupational Health or your local authority, but we’ll talk you through the process and help you find out what funding is available.

Pets in your home

You don’t need to ask for our consent before welcoming a new pet into your family. All we ask is that you consider the impact a pet might have on your neighbours, your home, the animal itself and your finances before you commit.

If you have a pet and it causes a nuisance to those living around you, this could be a breach of your tenancy agreement – in this situation, we would take action to resolve the issue.

This could include:

  • Imposing conditions
  • Requiring consent for further pets 
  • Reporting to animal welfare organisations 
  • Requesting the pet is rehomed
  • Or, in more serious cases, taking legal action. 

We do not permit you to have any breeds of dog to which section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 applies, dogs placed on the index of Exempt Dogs may be granted permission based on individual circumstances – contact us for more information.

We usually allow pets in all our homes. However, if you access your home through a communal door, or do not have your own garden, we only permit pets that are usually kept in cages or tanks.

If you access your home through a communal door and need an assistance animal for a support need, please get in touch with us on 0808 168 4555 and we can talk it through.

Please note, we do not allow cat or dog flaps to be fitted into any of our doors. 


If your change isn’t listed above

If you're not sure whether you need permission for something, or you’d like to go ahead and request permission for a particular change, you can use our handy form below. This includes things like installing an outside light, having a lodger or running a business from home.

If you’d like to discuss your ideas with us, don’t hesitate to get in touch however suits you best.

Drilling a fence